This blog is about the construction of my acoustic guitar kit and any other guitars that I decide to build I have built a couple of electrics but this is a big step,forward - I hope!
Monday, March 26, 2007
Saturday, March 24, 2007
Binding laminator Pic
Binding done - Pics
I managed to get the binding done this week.I didn't cut the channels quite deep enough (Trying to be too careful),so I have had to scrape a fair bit off.
This has made the binding a little bit "bumpy" and there are a couple of areas that have scratches in them ,but I suppose it doesn't look too bad.
I posted the question - http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/forum/threads.php?id=1301_0_2_0_C
I have also found a supplier of Micro Mesh in Sydney - Coated Abrasives Australia - Newtown.
Sunday, March 18, 2007
Binding jig made,end strip done
I managed to finish cleaning the routed channels up,cut and fitted the end strip and I decided to make up a "Binding Laminating Jig" which I got done.
I also laminated the three thin bindings for the top ,so if I can get a couple of hours after work I will get that done ..
The jig worked pretty good and I hope only having the 2 strips will be a bit easier to glue.
I have also started looking around for some ideas for the finish.I am leaning towards the French Polish at the moment but I am going to have a play before I touch the guitar.
One thing that does concern me is the amount of dirty marks on the spruce top(See Pic) . I am hoping it all cleans up OK
The next thing I need to start thinking about is tuners..I am not sure what to use yet....
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Binding rebate cleaned up
Well I finished "cleaning up"the binding channel using the Laminex Trimmer.
I don't know why ,but this was a lot easier and I have managed to kind of make the channel a lot neater than it ended up with the Dremel.(I am a bit happier now)
I was having a look throught one of my books and I see that they had cut down to the kerfing ,so I am not too worried about that.
I have decided that I am going to make a guide for the trimmer so it rides just on the edge and the guide will run along the side by about 50mm.This should make it a bit easier next time.
My plans are to get the binding and the neck done this coming weekend.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Routing the back binding - its got to get better!
Well, I managed to get down the shed after work today,but I wish I hadn't.
I started routing the back binding ,using the Dremel and the Precision base.
I made a small 5 deg wedge up and modified the router base .Too easy - Ha Ha!
The whole thing is up and down and all over the bloody place. I am not happy at all.There has to be a better way to do this!..
I ended up getting the laminex trimmer out and put a 13mm Straight bit in it with a 9 mm bearing .I then added a couple of turns of tape on the bearing...
I then stuck the 5 deg wedge on it and started "patching" it up.
This did seem to work a lot better than the Dremel,but as I said there has to be a better way.
I also noticed that in one part I have just touched the kerfing. Not much I can do now I suppose.
Not real happy with this at all.I hope the end result sounds good!
Labels: What a job
Sunday, March 11, 2007
Not as much as I had hoped!
Well I never got started on the neck but I did get a go at routing the binding rebate - Hows the nerves now! Your kidding! I am glad I used the Dremel and Stew-macs jig.
I never got it finished because I was starting to rush ,and not watch what was happening.
I am not too sure what is going on,because on some parts the cut is fine but on other parts its not deep enough.The sides looked pretty square and flat so I don't know.??
I also wasn't too sure on how much bigger to leave the binding (if any) so it can be sanded/scraped flush with the top and sides.
Any way I will go and have another look at the Stew mac DVD and see what they say.
Labels: Routing the binding rebate
Saturday, March 10, 2007
The box is closed-At last
I recieved my "Precision Router Base"
from Stewmac this week and I am now thinking about some kind of inlay - (Get ready Ted for more questions!)
This product is really well made and a lot better than the Plastic Dremel base I have.
I am starting to think about the finish now and I am not sure if to try my hand at French Polishing or one of the water based finishes.(Time to start reading I suppose).
Labels: Box closed - Long Last
Sunday, March 04, 2007
Top ON - and RIP Billy
Well I finally got the top glued on today.I glued the back on first but I don't think I would do it this way again.
I had a bit of trouble getting the top square and the back is out by a few mm.
Also I have a small gap where one of the braces is.I don't think this will matter because the binding will cover it.
I could almost write a book on what not to do!
And on a sadder note:
The passing of Billy Thorpe this week was a real shock and devastating to Aussie rock.. This guy was a real rock icon.
Saturday, March 03, 2007
The backs on,but not without a small problem
Well,I have got the back glued on (Did this before the top) and I see that one of the braces has held the back up off the kerfing,It is only as fine as a piece of paper,but something to watch next time!
I checked this quite a few times ,but I think that a splinter has come away from the brace and held it up off the kerfing
I am going to get the top on today and get a start on the neck so I feel as though I am finally getting somewhere.
The weather here at the moment is garbage.
The last 4 weeks have been so warm,wet and humid its been making it a bit of a task to do too much.
I reckon I should have put a small AC unit in the shed , as the De humidifier makes it quite warm in the room.....