GREGS GUITARS

This blog is about the construction of my acoustic guitar kit and any other guitars that I decide to build I have built a couple of electrics but this is a big step,forward - I hope!

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Neck Problem


I have got no idea what is going on with this neck.I had it set up pretty good the other day,and today its out .
I am not sure if its because of the play in the bolt on neck or the wet weather we are having although the shed has a de humidifier in it.

Anyway here is a picture of the gap under the cheek of the neck, which is about the thickness of a thin piece of paper .
Its only on one side and it almost looks like something is holding the neck from coming down or over on one side.
This would explain why the "side to side" set is out a bit, by about 1/8 at the bridge.

Sorry about the photo quality - Good camera,bad user.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to me Greg. I got it all set up and then...

Consider that the neck tennon may be resting on the mortised neck block (have I got those terms right)... where the bolts screw in the neck might be resting on the neck block, stopping the neck from touching the sides...

I had to shim my first neck to build the wood up again - maybe I worked it too much. Maybe this is something you need to consider.

You can barely see the shim these days... unless you know it's there.

April 26, 2007 12:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That comment above was me

April 26, 2007 12:33 pm  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Ted,

I have had a look at the Tennon and I think it is OK.I alo think what you are saying about "over working it" might be right.

I might wait till the weather settles and see what happens as far as the neck alignment goes and then shim it.

I suppose it all comes back to what we can hide!

April 26, 2007 3:23 pm  
Blogger David said...

One other thing you might want to check is if the truss rod sticks out past the end of the neck and slides into the access hole. If this is the case the rod might be hanging up a little in the hole keeping the neck from seating properly. I had this problem with my OM and had to ream the hole a little bit so it would slide in freely.

You might want to put some chalk on the end of the tenon to and insert it carefully until it stops. If it is hitting the back of the mortice, the chalk might transfer to the block and let you know where some adjustment is needed.

April 27, 2007 10:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home