GREGS GUITARS

This blog is about the construction of my acoustic guitar kit and any other guitars that I decide to build I have built a couple of electrics but this is a big step,forward - I hope!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Not happy and confused

Well after my last post I had a better look at the kerfing that I finished.
I have a slight gap on one side where the waist clamp was.

At the time I couldn't see it and because of the waist clamp, was unable to get a peg on that part of the kerfing.
http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/forum/threads.php?id=906_0_2_0_C

The other thing thats bugging me is Stewmacs Sanding Stick.I made one up as per their manual .

I cut the 2 wedges , 200mm (8 inches) long. One I made 5 deg and the other 1.5 deg .So far so good -So I thought?

I was having a bit of a look at Bills KIT GUITAR BUILDING site,and found an article on the sanding stick.

In this article it sais to make the angle from the centre of the sand paper to the end near the wedge.

This would give a true/closer 5 deg and 1.5 deg at the sanding area.

Using Stewmac's description,the angle would be a bit less and flatter.

I have put a post on Bills site http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/forum/threads.php?id=905_0_6_0_C , to get some clarification.I reckon I might be missing something somewhere ,

Every thing made sense when I read the instructions for the first 20 times,and this is the easy part!

2 Comments:

Blogger Blog said...

Greg, Photos would make it all clearer. I don't really understand what the difference would be, if I am ready your "problem" correctly, the difference in the angle would be tiny. Don't stress.

I remember worrying about every little detail when I was at your stage.

I think you'll be really happy when you close the box and stop nit picking at tiny details.

November 16, 2006 2:19 am  
Blogger Greg said...

Hi Ted,

You are right.If I have stuffed up the angle its probably too late now anyway.

I am still interested in finding out if I did stuff up the sanding angle or not ??

November 16, 2006 6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home