GREGS GUITARS

This blog is about the construction of my acoustic guitar kit and any other guitars that I decide to build I have built a couple of electrics but this is a big step,forward - I hope!

Friday, July 27, 2007

Finish almost complete




Well ,a couple of days off and I have managed to get the French Polishing finished.
I am pretty happy with the way it has come out ,especially for my first attempt.
The photos are not the best,(again) but the finish has really come up like glass
well worth the effort

I am really not too sure about the neck joint.I have bolted it on tight and I can feel a bit of movement there -side to side Maybe after its glued it may be OK...???
Anybody thinking of finishing their guitar,consider French Polishing.It is very forgiving.I had a few dramas with the top,gave it a light sand back,and applied some more shellac - No problems.
I don't think I would use anything else now.


2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Wow, it's really looking great! How much side to side movement do you have with the neck? Does it move when the bolt is tight? If so, I would try and figure out what is causing it and get it tightened. I wouldn't want to depend on just the glue to keep it from rocking. There is a lot of torque on that joint if the neck gets bumped accidentally. If you think about it, every type of neck joint depends on two different methods to hold it tight. The dovetail uses a wedging action plus glue to hold it and a bolt on uses glue as well as bolts to hold it tight. I wouldn't be comfortable relying on only one of the two to hold the neck straight.

Is the bottom of the tenon hitting the bottom of the mortise causing it to raise slightly from the body?

Again, your guitar is looking fantastic! I really need to try FP sometime.

July 30, 2007 2:44 am  
Blogger Greg said...

Hi Dave,

I am pretty happy with the way the finish has come up.Its no where near perfect but is not too bad.

I am really not too sure what is happening with the neck.I think this all originates from my original problems with the cheeks.I did have a look at the tenon,and it did seem to be OK.

It only moves a fraction and I really have to push/pull it to get it to move - but its not right.
I think I might try shimming the tennon to see if I can tighten it up??

July 31, 2007 8:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home