This blog is about the construction of my acoustic guitar kit and any other guitars that I decide to build I have built a couple of electrics but this is a big step,forward - I hope!

Sunday, May 27, 2007

New nut cut

Today I decided to make another nut because the original one was pretty ugly!..

This one was a lot easier and came out pretty good except I have noticed a fine crack in it.

I have made up a simple 15 deg Jig to cut the angle on the bottom of the nut and I used a radius sanding block to shape the top of it.This worked well.

I am not going to worry about the neck problem as per my previous post(s).

I am really not sure if its a problem with the top or the neck,but if I keep playing around with it,I will end up stuffing the neck right up.

I have ordered some "Z Poxy" finishing resin,so I can get a start on French Polishing it- But this is another story!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Stuffed Nut

Things are busy again at work and I have started this Wood Finishing Course so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the guitar.

I have shaped the nut ,which came out OK,but I wiped some lead pencil marks off it with turps and it has stained it....

This neck set is still driving me mad.I had it set up so that the straight edge just skimmed over the bridge by about .5 mm as in Stewmacs instructions.

I put the last frets in the other day and put the neck back on ,and now the straight edge runs about 3 mm above the bridge....

I am not sure if it the top moving around, or its because the fretboard has moved a bit with the last frets in.

I really don't want to start taking more off the shoulders at the moment!!