This blog is about the construction of my acoustic guitar kit and any other guitars that I decide to build I have built a couple of electrics but this is a big step,forward - I hope!

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Nut Shaping!

First,Thanks Ted and David for the input to my (Guitar) neck problem.

I ended up gluing a very,very thin piece onto one side like Ted suggested. It looks a heap better,but its not perfect.

I think I might be expecting this to turn out like something from the Martin factory or something.

Anyway I have started shaping the Nut today.So far thats gone OK.

Last week I picked up some Nut files which were on on special from Australian Luthiers Supplies if anybody is interested in saving a few dollars.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Neck Problem

I have got no idea what is going on with this neck.I had it set up pretty good the other day,and today its out .
I am not sure if its because of the play in the bolt on neck or the wet weather we are having although the shed has a de humidifier in it.

Anyway here is a picture of the gap under the cheek of the neck, which is about the thickness of a thin piece of paper .
Its only on one side and it almost looks like something is holding the neck from coming down or over on one side.
This would explain why the "side to side" set is out a bit, by about 1/8 at the bridge.

Sorry about the photo quality - Good camera,bad user.

Monday, April 23, 2007


Day off today...
I Spent about 6 hours sanding and patching.

I started out trying to polish the scratches out of the white plastic binding. It didn't come up too bad but again,this will go down as something to watch next time.

I sanded the back and sides starting at 400 grit and going up to 2000 wet and dry.

It has come up pretty smooth.I have a few dings and marks on the sides that I will need to sort out.

I bolted the neck back on and for some reason the gap between the neck and body seems to have got bigger.??and I am really not too sure what to do about it either.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Neck Fitting Done

I managed to get the neck fitted today. I am not too sure that the bolt on neck is that much easier than the dovetail.I went to heaps of trouble to make sure the neck block was square,and it still needed adjusting.

I had to take a bit off both sides to get it right..I now have a slight gap between the neck and the body,but I think it will be OK.

Its funny ,but I see so much wrong with the guitar,and I bet no body ever notices.

All I hope is that it sound good!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Neck Shaping Done

I have got the neck shaped and finished now ready to fit the saddle,nut etc.

I have enrolled in a French Polishing course.The teacher actually build guitars so this should be pretty good.

I bolted the neck on tonight and I have a small problem.The neck/ fretboard was sitting up about 1.5mm off the top.

My first thought is to file the holes out a bit so it will sit down.I have asked the guys on .Guitar Kit Forum for their opinion

Monday, April 16, 2007

Inlay and headstock pics

Well you wouldn't think it could take so long to do the inlay and headstock shaping.I am pretty happy with the inlay,but if I do any more I will approach it a bit different( and neater)

I am happy with the back of the headstock, although I dont think it ended up with the shape that Stewmac talk about!

Friday, April 13, 2007

Inlay started

I managed to get a few hours in to try my hand at inlaying . Here is a pic of it before I fill the "gap".

It looks a lot worse than it is because of the zoom on the camera.It will be interesting after I glue it in and fill/sand it.


Monday, April 09, 2007

Fretted and Glued

I have glued the fretboard to the neck.Stewmacs rubber bands do really work quite well for this.

I was a bit unsure at first but it was pretty good.

See who can pick the mistake I have made ?? Cosmetic only!

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Neck inlays done

Well it has been a little wet over this long weekend so "sadly" I haven't been able to do too many domestic chores outside.

The next best thing I suppose, was to get into the shed and get some more work done on the guitar.

I spent about 6 hours fitting the diamond shape fretboard markers They didn't come up to bad but it was a very fiddly job cutting the shapes out on the fretboard.

On one of the electrics I made, I completely stuffed this up,so I wasn't going to do that again.

This has also kind of got me thinking about some kind of pearl inlay on the peg head ,so I will start to have a read about that now.

I have also ordered the tuners.

After searching around the net and hassling Ted,(

I finally found that it was cheaper to get them from Stew-mac than down here.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Neck /fret board started

Well I got a little bit done this week.I managed to start on the headstock and mark out the fretboard and cut and trim it

I also made up a shooting board and sharpened up some of my tools.

The fretboard wasn't too bad,but I did cut it a bit "fine"..

I am trying to make my mind up if I am going to shape the headstock or leave it square.

I worked out that by the time I finish this I will have one extra guitar,but a shop full of extra tools and jigs!