GREGS GUITARS

This blog is about the construction of my acoustic guitar kit and any other guitars that I decide to build I have built a couple of electrics but this is a big step,forward - I hope!

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Binding jig made,end strip done










I managed to finish cleaning the routed channels up,cut and fitted the end strip and I decided to make up a "Binding Laminating Jig" which I got done.


I also laminated the three thin bindings for the top ,so if I can get a couple of hours after work I will get that done ..

The jig worked pretty good and I hope only having the 2 strips will be a bit easier to glue.

I have also started looking around for some ideas for the finish.I am leaning towards the French Polish at the moment but I am going to have a play before I touch the guitar.

One thing that does concern me is the amount of dirty marks on the spruce top(See Pic) . I am hoping it all cleans up OK

The next thing I need to start thinking about is tuners..I am not sure what to use yet....

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I assume the dirty marks are just dust from the sides. If so, it will clean up just fine. My tops usually look filthy as I am building because of the dark wood. I really don't worry about it until I get to the finishing stage of the build. I usually blow it out with compressed air, brush it with a clean paint brush, vaccuum, wipe down with a clean dry rag and then wipe down with naphtha. I have used tac cloths but I always am concerned about what is in them to make them sticky, and what that could do to the finish. I only use tac cloths as a last resort and then clean up afterwords with naphtha.

Your build looks great! It looks like you are doing a good job with it.

If you haven't looked, I have a blog with my builds at www.davidsguitar.blogspot.com
I have an OM in the finish stage right now, (finish is all applied and it is curing for a couple of weeks) and I am currently working on a OOO unserviced build while I am waiting for the OM to cure.

David

March 19, 2007 10:35 am  
Blogger Greg said...

Hi Dave,

Yes I have been keeping an eye on your blog.You and Ted keep me inspired.(and make me try to finish work at a reasonable time to get some work doneon the Guitar )

The marks are from the the Stewmac Router Base.I should have wiped it over first.I hope it comes out.

Thanks for your comments.

March 19, 2007 7:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home